Thursday, September 27, 2012

Task 2

       An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge shares similar themes with the movie The Truman Show. They both focus on the main character's perception of reality being manipulated, they both offer the character both a happy lie and an unhappy truth, and they both end with the character leaving their fabricated worlds.
       While the manipulation in The Truman Show is accomplished by a vast conspiracy over the span of Truman's entire life,  Peyton is deceived by his own mind. His delusion only lasts a few seconds. Both characters depart from their lives to an unhappy reality. Truman finds that his entire life was a lie, and escapes his wife, friends, and job to the real world where he knows no one. Peyton was with his wife and children again before being forced back to reality by his death.

9 comments:

  1. Hmm... since I've never seen the Trueman show, I'm not quite sure what to write. From what you write, it does sound like there are some good comparisons between the two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really, really good Zach! :) I would have never thought about that! I agree with you though. This is a wonderful comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen the Truman show, but my sister went into long, painstaking detail about what happened, so I feel as though I know enough of the story to agree with you! :D And for some odd reason, I really like the sentence you wrote about "Peyton is deceived by his own mind." It kind of resonated in my mind, don't ask me why.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Truman show sounds like an interesting comparison (although i've never seen it:)...the two seem very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen The Truman Show, but if everyone else thinks the comparison is awesome, I will agree with them to avoid being different. Great comparison, Zach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I'm one of the many that hasn't watched this show. Good observations though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I watched the Truman show before but it was a long time ago so I'm not certain... But you have a really good comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen The Truman Show, but from what you've said, it sounds like a very good comparison!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the Truman show a long time ago and can't really remember that much about it but after you explained it that is a very good comparison.

    ReplyDelete